Milk supply can be a struggle for some new moms, but don't worry, Lake Country Doulas has you covered with a delicious way to increase supply while enjoying freshly baked cookies! Sounds too good to be true, we know!
These lactation cookies are chalk full of ingredients that will help give your supply a boost (like flax seed, oats and brewers yeast!), as well as give you some much needed energy to face the day with your baby. And with healthy ingredients like whole wheat flour, oats, natural peanut butter and apple sauce, you don't have to feel guilty about indulging in these yummy treats! Pair with a cup of your favourite nursing tea, and you've got a nutritious breakfast on the go.
Try it out and let us know what you think!
Pro tip: not into baking? Did you know your postpartum doula will gladly make you all the lactation cookies you'd like while you take time to nurse, rest and recover? For more information about hiring a postpartum doula, serving Orillia, Barrie, Newmarket and Muskoka, click here!
Lake Country Lactation Cookies
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup ground flax
3-4 tbsp brewers yeast
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar (cut in half to reduce sugar, if desired)
2 tsp vanilla
2 cup chocolate chips or raisins (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in bowl.
3. In a different bowl, beat peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla, brewers yeast, flax, apple sauce, eggs and water.
4. Gradually beat in flour mixture to wet mixture.
5. Mix in chocolate chips. Add oats slowly, mixing along the way.
6. Make 1 inch balls with batter and press down on greased cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 12-14 min.
8. Let cool and ENJOY!
These cookies freeze really well, so pop some in the freezer if you'd like!